How to reset Toyota Prado power windows

Bookmark and Share

If your power windows are not working properly on your Toyota Prado, try this trick. You may also need to do this after replacing your car battery.

Background

Power window master switch on Toyota Prado driver's door

Power window master switch on Toyota Prado driver’s door

A while ago I had to change the battery in my 2005 model 120-series Toyota Prado.

As most owners would know, removing the battery and installing a new one requires re-programming the PIN into the car stereo. I have the PIN and followed the instructions in the owners’ manual to reprogram the radio PIN. Easy.

Around the same time, my power windows started to play up. It seemed that I could operate all four power windows with the switch on the respective door, but I could not operate the passengers windows from the master power window switch on the driver’s door. I had read that there were certain Toyota vehicles that were subject to a recall on the driver’s door power window switch. I assumed that was the problem.

I went to the local Toyota dealer to get the driver’s door window switch checked out. In the conversation with the service guy, he casually asked whether I had recently replaced the battery.

“Yes, I had,” I replied.

“Ahh, that will be your problem. You need to reprogram your power windows,” he said.

“Does it explain how to do this in the owner’s manual?” I asked.

“Yes,” he replied.

And so I went home to reprogram the power windows on my Toyota Prado.

How to re-program the power windows on your Toyota Prado 120 series

The instructions on how to re-program the power windows on the Toyota Prado 120-series are somewhat buried in the car owner’s manual. The procedure is called normalising the power windows and can be found on page 23 of my manual under the “Jam protection function” subheading. The section makes absolutely no reference to needing to do this after replacing the Prado’s battery. The Toyota service guy seemed to indicate that it needed to be done every time you replace the car’s battery.

The procedure to normalise the power windows in the 120-series Toyota Prado is:

1. Push down the power window switch on each door and lower the window halfway.
  2. Pull up the switch until the window closes and hold the switch for a second.
  3. That is it! There is no three.

I did this to the three passenger windows using the switches on their respective doors. The master switch on the driver’s door now operates again.

30 thoughts on “How to reset Toyota Prado power windows

1. charles kimani

I own a t/ allion 2002 and i had removed the battery to assist a friend after which the master switch could not operate the windows from the drivers position.This post helped since by just doing what was instructed my master switch works normally.Great help you save me alot of problems

2. Rene

Fantastic… Thank you very much for this post, saved me a lot of headace and money! Works like new again, after disconnecting that battery.. Thanks, that should be printed in bold on the first page of the manual..

3. Michael

Just goggled “power window problems Prado” came across your post, 3 minutes later windows are working from drivers control. Yes!!!

4. Greg

Many thanks, I thought it might have been a fuse but there is only one fuse for the driver’s window control. Saved me a trip to the auto electrician.

5. Bob

And thanks from me too. I had found normalisation in the manual and tried it, but the manual is poorly written and when it says to make sure the windows open automatically, I read that as meaning they would re-open once you had closed them and held the button up for a second, which they don’t.

Have just gone through it on each of the doors and all work fine. Thought I was headed for an auto elctrician as mine stopped after a jump start by the NRMA, not a battery replacement and one of the several power window fuses was actually blown, but replacing it didn’t fix them.

6. sginrocky

Hey mate, works a treat! Thanks for saving me the cost and embarrassment of having to try to explain that to the dealer!

7. lance

I have got my windows working ok its the stereo just has SEC on dil only its Toyota hi ace 2007 some one told me last 4 numbers on vin plate but that didn’t work either

8. Simon

Thanks very much.
    I had the same problem today on my prado, I followed the procedure that you outlines and Lo and behold … it worked like magic.

many thanks,

9. Mark Goyen

Had the clutch repaired. The battery was disconnected. No problem with the stereo, but the windows didn’t work. Tried the above, worked no problems. Thanks heaps. Mark

10. Paul

Thanks mate… you have made me look like I know how to finally fix the car! The wife had RACQ out after I’d gone to work post changing the battery to replace a headlight bulb…. yeah I know it’s simple but I had to do it with one hand! Cheers and thanks again for the no nonsense advice.

11. chris

HI, about to try the window reset, I hope it works I also have a problem with the base idle really low] since battery change any ideas?
    My Cressida would re learn after a few starts the Prado wont. Got me stumped.

12. brett

thanks pal replaced my battery 2 weeks ago & the lights in the switch started flashing just reset the windows & all good, the wonders of the internet.

13. scott

thank you this seems to work for all Toyota with electric windows
    I have a hiace 2006 x Telstra which are a telephone company here in Australia
    my problem started when I put the van into reverse all off a sudden I had no speedo or blinkers , air con & windows a blown fuse. due to a faulty trailer plug happened after I scraped it going up a driveway the rotten thing
    ok trying to find the rotten fuse was a drama with 4 fuse boxes 3 easy to find 4th not so easy it is on the passenger side.
    you will see one just under the glove box shelf thingy well the other is right up behind the shelf thingy . one must get there fat head down & look under & up or you could use a mirror this was a after thought (bugger) well this fuse A 10 amp red in colour is between the 7.5 amp to the front of the fuse box there area about 15 fuse’s in it pain in the bum to pull all out until you find the blown one

so if you have widows not working or no speedo & air con this will be your problem this can happen even from a faulty reverse blub too stupid idea if you ask me
    so panic like I did & pay $180.00 for a auto electrician for 25 cent fuse but they found out why it kept blowing stupid trailer plug anyway hope this helps ‘
    im told this will be the same for most Toyotas van car or truck you y just have to find that rotten fuse box for your model and make
    cheers and thanks

14. Tom

Wow, Thanks ! Exactly my problem with a 2005 120 series Prado. Your instructions are clearer than the manual. Fixed the problem in less than a minute … I agonised over this for months after checking every fuse in the car. What a relief.