If you are new to track cycling in Brisbane, then you are probably wondering about the various cycling sessions held at Chandler Velodrome every week — what is the track cycling scene in Brisbane? Knowing what is on offer may influence your decision on which cycling club to join, as well as help you find sessions that suit your age, ability and fitness.
To ride on Chandler Velodrome, you will need to hold a Cycling Australia Racing Licence (Gold Membership) to compete in races, while a Recreational Licence (Silver Membership) is sufficient to participate in many of the training sessions. Several clubs also offer three month memberships, allowing you to try before signing up for the full twelve months membership.
You will need a track bike to ride on Chandler Velodrome. If you do not have your own track bike, hire bikes are available through Cycling Queensland (first two uses free, then $7 per session after that); some clubs also have their own hire bikes.
Weekly club cycling sessions at Chandler Velodrome
Following is a table of cycling sessions and races held weekly on Chandler Velodrome. These sessions generally cater for all grades of riders. In all cases, you should check details with the relevant clubs/organisers.
|Monday, 6:30pm – 8:30pm||Kangaroo Point Cycling Club senior track training||September to June.||www.kpcc.org.au|
|Tuesday, 7:00pm – 9:00pm||Billy Wright’s Tuesday Nights||Held under the auspices of Wynnum Redlands Cycling Club, but members of all clubs are welcome. While advertised as training, the evening is focused around race skills.||Friend Billy Wright on Facebook to get his information directly.
|Wednesday, evenings||University of Queensland Cycling Club track training*||Members of other clubs welcome.||www.uqcycle.com|
|Thursday, 5:00pm – 7:00pm||Balmoral Cycling Club junior track training||www.balmoralcyclingclub.com.au|
|Thursday, 7:00pm – 9:00pm||Balmoral Cycling Club senior track training||www.balmoralcyclingclub.com.au|
|Friday, 7:30pm – 9:30pm||Ipswich Cycling Club||Selected dates until February 2016.||www.ipswichcyclingclub.org.au|
|Sunday, 9:00am – 11:00am||University of Queensland Cycling Club track training*||Members of other clubs welcome.||www.uqcycle.com|
|Sunday, 4:00pm – 6:00pm||Hamilton Pine Rivers Wheelers (HPRW)||Members of other clubs welcome. Sessions run spring through to autumn, with a break over winter.||www.hamiltonwheelers.com|
|* Note: I have heard of these sessions through other riders, but there do not appear to be details posted on the internet. As with all the sessions, check details with the clubs involved.|
Try the Track at Chandler Velodrome
Click on this link for more information about Try the Track at Chandler Velodrome.
Private training sessions
In addition to the sessions listed above, there are also private training sessions run on Chandler Velodrome, but these are for riders seeking to achieve specific cycling goals. These are by invitation only, or specially organised with your coach.
Special cycling events held at Chandler Velodrome
Upcoming special cycling events at Chandler Velodrome include the following.
- Sat 24 HPRW Track Carnival – HPRW
- Sun 25 Hosken Lifecycle Junior Track Carnival – Lifecycle CC
- Sat 7 Rd 4 Chandler Challenge – CQ
- Fri 13 – Sat 14 QLD Omnium – CQ
- Sun 22 Balmoral Track Carnival – Balmoral CC (cancelled)
- Wed 25 – Sun 29 QLD Elite, U19 & Para-cycling Track Champs – CQ
- Fri 11 QLD Madison – CQ
- Sat 12 KPCC Track Carnival – Kangaroo Point CC
- Sun 13 Ipswich Track Carnival – Ipswich CC
- Mon 14 WRCC Christmas Carnival – Wynnum Redlands CC
- Fri 15 – Mon 18 QLD Junior Track Championships – CQ
- Thu 11 – Sun 14 QLD Masters Track Championships – CQ
Once again, you should check details with the relevant clubs/organisers.
To give you an idea of the activities held at Chandler Velodrome throughout the year, I have listed below past events at the track.
- Cycling Queensland Track Carnival — 11 October 2014 (Juniors, Elite and Masters)
- Cycling Queensland Omnium Championships — 18-19 October 2014
- Hamilton Pine Rivers Wheelers (HPRW) Track Carnival — 25 October 2014
- Pan Pacific Masters Games (Track Cycling) — 31 October – 2 November 2014
- Cycling Queensland Track Carnival — 8 November 2014 (Juniors, Elite and Masters)
- Cycling Queensland Elite, U19 & Para-cycling Track Championships — 26-29 November 2014
- Ipswich Cycling Club Track Carnival — 13 December 2014
- Balmoral Cycling Club Track Carnival — 14 December 2014
- Cycling Queensland Junior Track Development Clinic — 15-19 December 2014
- Wynnum Redlands Cycling Club Christmas Track Carnival — 20 December 2014
- Kangaroo Point Cycling Club Annual Track Carnival — 21 December 2014
- Cycling Queensland 2015 Queensland Junior Track Championships (TBC) — 21 January 2015
- Cycling Queensland 2015 Queensland Masters Track Championships — 20 February 2015
- Kangaroo Point Cycling Club Track Championships — March 2015.
|Friday, 7:30pm – 11:00pm||Repsych Winter Track Racing Series||Every second week until 3 October 2014. Members of all cycling clubs welcome. Racing licence required.||www.repsych.com.au|
|Saturday||Billy Wright Special Event||A few times a year, Billy Wright organises a Saturday afternoon/evening race night.||Friend Billy Wright on Facebook to get his information directly.
|Wednesday, 3:30pm – 5:30pm||Repsych performance track sessions||These are closed sessions.||www.repsych.com.au
For all enquiries, email email@example.com
If you are aware of any errors or omissions from this page, please comment below and I will update this page.
Updated: 1 October 2015